Thursday, October 30, 2008

Losing things, and more toys

Don't you just HATE it when you come home from a quilting event, all fired up and ready to tackle the current project, and horrors, you do NOT find all the pieces you went with? Somewhere, I LOST about 50-75 flying geese made up in scrappy shirtings! I even have a photo of those flying geese AT the retreat. I checked my table mates, called the YMCA, cleaned out my car, folded and refolded every piece of fabric I took with me. Dang it! And you KNOW, as soon as I remake all those units, the 'lost' ones will show up! In the mean time, I'm just hanging around waiting for a miracle - like maybe someone picked them up my mistake or ...? but even worse than that, is finding them in some really stupid place, making me feel like an imbecile.

I have turned into a PatsyThompsonDesigns.com junkie, or groupie. This is her newest set of 2 videos, and once again, I DO feel more accomplished and confident (and less like an imbecile!) after watching her demos using her DSM.

Here are the results of some of my play time. I've not practiced for more than a month, so results are not great, but not bad either. It's just fun to practice like this, using different threads, etc. I save the samples and add notes to them to help me remember what I used. The first photo is my effort at a type of McTavishing -- mmm should have practiced on paper first. My favorite is the third - a kind of shell. THe shell moves along quicky and the design handles traveling well.




15 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I know what you mean. A day or two after I got home from my retreat, I went to set up my sewing machine and couldn't find the power cord! Went thru my things, couldn't find it. PANIC, took a deep breath andwent thru everything again, piece by piece and found it hiding. Hope your triangles show up, too. The McTavishing looks very good, especially for a first try, I think that I like the shell one best, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I got home from work, I've been out in the garage helping CarGuy try to find 2 of the same wrench. The garage is the cleanest I've seen it in a long time. Still no wrenches. We think they are both in the same place. So now he needs to go over everything again. Better him than me. I HATE IT when I do stupid things like that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine, which of the DVDs would you recommend? I like to experiment with free motion quilting as well. Your samples all look great.

    Hope the flying geese fly back to you soon.

    ~Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. My problem is that I can't find the Patsy Thompson quilting DVD that I "put away" when company was coming! It has to be here somewhere! And I was really looking forward to making my sample quilts per her demos. Hope you find your geese - surely they will turn up somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aarrgh! I feel for ya! Hopefully the missing pieces will show up soon. In the meantime, keep playing with the quilting...it's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came home from a retreat last spring short a favorite earring. The owner of the retreat house went through the whole place on her hands and knees hunting for it, and then about two weeks later, the earring turned up in a corner of my duffel bag, right here at home. Happy day.

    May all those blocks float to the surface of wherever they are! They are probably packed away very securely, in with someone's projects.

    The quilting looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you find your flying geese. They are a lot of work to make. I read Patsy Thompson's blog too but haven't bought her video yet. Yours are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I hate when that happens. I've lost a whole quilt top, but, I happened on it one day. I forgot where I put it after trying to decide who might have taken it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you flying geese come flying home!

    So impressed with your quilting samples. Even more impressed that you are organized enough to note the needle and thread combination on each swatch! Love the shell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi... those dratted geese... hope they did not fly south but are just hiding 'till hunting season is over.

    Love your samples. I have the videos and haven't viewed them yet. I keep thinking that if I do, I must do the work, and already am too busy. Isn't that the dumbest excuse ever!

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your samples are all so great. You are really getting accomplished. I got the first video, and I'm feeling confident that I can do better on my next quilts than I did on the first one. They are inspiring. I lose things all the time. I think when I put things away that it is so clear, and then I can remember putting it away and remember that feeling, but can't remember where. I hope that your FG have shown up by now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope those flying geese turn up.
    I love your quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, love the quilting, I need to be more adventurous! stinks about your flying geese... I do that, and I don't go anywhere! what does that mean?
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOhhh... the quilting is wonderful! I've been thinking about ordering her DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to love this blog. Btw - what is the book about. Will it help me with the quilting or its programmed into the machine.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.