Wednesday, September 15, 2010

... and that's when the fight began


We were boating -- in his power boat -- not yet married so both of us were trying to be especially 'diplomatic' and 'courteous' to each other. I was in a leg cast from a broken ankle which put me in a not-best physical condition and it definitely slowed my movements down a lot but I WAS making an effort to stay in good humor, despite discomfort.

I had spent over 20 years as a pleasure sailor (sailboats), confidently knowledgeable, while 'that man' was a power boater (they are called stink potters), and it seemed to me that it was a male characteristic to imply they are more knowledgeable than members of the other gender. We did each have a different approach to water crafts but again, were both trying to avoid opportunity for disagreement.

We motored into the slip and I began to tie the boat to the dock cleats, using proper knots and technique, but knowing he was closely watching me. I was feeling very insecure with him watching.

As I was carefully and skillfully tying his boat to the dock, I heard him say "You're not so great!" ... huh? HUH!!! He said I wasn't so great???? and he expects I'm going to marry him, that good for nothing so and so ... and that's when the fight began!

About 3 days later, he explained ... what he said was "Your knots are great!"

It's funny now and a good lesson! Wasn't funny at the time.

13 comments:

  1. Your right, that's funny. It's interesting that we hear what we expect to hear, especially under trying circumstances. But how long have you two hot heads been married?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm chuckling, Elaine. Been there, too. Not the boating thing but the mishearing thing. Not funny at the time but Honey & I sure laugh about those moments now after 43 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even my husband is laughing at that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giggle! I needed that. Glad you are still laughing and the knot didn't come untied!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny story! Since I'm deaf in one year I mishear things all the time....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great family story and a good lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny , but probably not so much at the time.Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time heals all wounds! My DH and I are still giggling about this one! I read him your story..and his eyes got ROUND! (I bet he was thinking OH MAN! I"m glad that was not ME!) lolol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's funny...in our family it is my husband that miss hears things due to hearing loss that he will not admit to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story, and I love your title....and then the fighting began!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's hilarious! And you both even speak English! Tetsu and I have a few of those language bloopers too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's such a cute story!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.