Sunday, October 03, 2010

Growth, and Quilting, and Q. Books

I had a birthday recently. LAST year on my birthday, we bought a Linden tree and I want to see how much growth there has been. This photo is from 2010. The tree grew some, but so did the other subject!

Below are some of my favorite machine quilting books. I have many but these are the ones I like the most. Back - Hooked on Feathers by Sally Terry - a 'new', and far more sensible way of MQ'ing feathers. The next, Machine Quilting, another basic, start at the beginning book, although there more complicated designs included also. Next is Freehand Patterns, by Nan Moore, another basic showing a multitude of border patterns and more, and last is my favorite, favorite, by Kathy Sandbach, who has written several machine quilting books. You might recognize her name as she has quilted a BUNCH of quilts for other names in the quilt business. She is totally free-form (in this book), and I really LOVE her style. It is carefree, not to worry, don't fret, etc. Remember, all of these books require practice. All these books are about the LINES, and DESIGNS, with little mention of threads, or machine set-up.

If you pick just one idea from each book, you will find that in time, you will have a bunch of designs under your belt! This one turned our really nice and curvy although my photo is a bit washed-out. I have numerous side setting triangles on this Double Dutch, and could not stick to one pattern, so quilted them all differently. No focussing for me!

10 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday!

    Planting a tree for your birthday was a good idea. I look forward to see how the tree progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting is looking very good. I need to look into that Kathy Sandbach book. Thanks for the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great book, found mine for a great price on Amazon (from a used book seller).
    But, I'm still afraid to try FMQ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely free motion quilting - sadly I can't do it!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. We planted a linden tree and it was coming beautiful...and after about 5 years it just up and died...Maine must have been too cold..it was coming so good...the deer use to love to come and eat the leaves...trust yours will do well...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belated Happy Birthday!!!

    I too have a number of quilting books and you are right each one gives a little different perspective on the whole. The Kathy Sandbach book has been on my wishlist for a while, now I am going to have to look that up again. I also love the Maraccini book and found it a great complement to Pat Cleveland's book "Quilting Makes the Quilt" because both talk bout how to quilt the same quilt different ways.

    Ironically, I am on a hand work jag right now but have projects lined up and in mind for machine quilting once I am done.

    Love that corner design you stitched in! Thanks to you and other prolific quilters, I also find great stitch designs in blog posts. Thanks for being a resource!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to have all the triangles different. It adds interest. I want that book now but it seems to be out of print. I'll have to check Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll try to get a couple of these books - maybe it will help broaden my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love to see you out there squinting in the sun girl!!! HA!

    I recently bought a good book with quilting ideas...hhmmm, wonder where it is??

    You really do have to practice!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have all those books Roos. Sometimes I think I have too many and don't pull them out often enough to look for new ideas...its easy to get In a rut and quilt what I already know I can do well.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.