Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pressing, my Least Favorite Part

This is the back of "Steps" (or maybe "One Step at at Time") , a Rebuilt Log Cabin.  The center portion is finished and this is the dreaded pressing job, on the back.  Do you also hate that job as well?  Yikes!!! -- there is NO WAY all those seams are going to stay where I want them, but I'm not worried either.  The seams are pressed open when I joined the blocks into rows, but joining the rows together - Hey I did the best I could! 

Thanks to trimming blocks to one size, they fit nicely without ooching or stretching - therefore, that part of the process went quickly.  A good press from the top will finish the pressing job, then I'm adding a 2 inch inner border,  and then I'm tackling the outer border.  My goal today (yet) is to make a sample.  I could have saved time by relying on my first instinct instead of spending hours, days, looking and wondering.

It's turning out well and I'm trying hard NOT to show it until I get the border completed.  When I take it to Quilt Guild, Show and Tell, they frequently  KNOW it's mine, even if I didn't tell them.  Perhaps I finally have a "style".   

The name, "Steps", (or "One Step at a Time") has always been a personal and professional lesson for me, as well as excellent advice for a quiltmaker or any person  when tackling a project.  And the quilt is filled with visual "Steps", as is the border-to-be.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, pressing is one of my least favorite things.

    The name you gave this quilt is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats looking great. Mine has been on hold the weather has been so perfect for gardening. But will be back to it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's going to look stunning. Everything you show us is stunning.
    That concept of "one step at a time" --or one "bite" at a time (as in how do you eat an elephant?)-- made a huge difference in my life when I finally GOT it. I was a working mom of 5 when that "elephant" question exploded into my understanding and changed my outlook on "getting it all done." No more being "tied in knots" about it all. Most of the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you'll have it whipped into shape real soon. Looking forward to see it finished. Quite an accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I dread the pressing on a large quilt. And when I drape it over the ironing board to "put it off until tomorrow" no elves appear to do the job overnight. What am I doing wrong? It worked for the shoemaker? : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not the best at pressing, I still have a tendency to stretch..... good luck getting all the seams to go in the right space!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pressing or ironing....that is an issue. Pressing is very important-as it does not stretch out the fabric. Ironing on the other hand can cause some issues with quilt blocks. Pressing is a different motion, as I have learned!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind pressing but wish I had one of those BigBoards whenever I get to the completed top stage. Looking wonderful from the back as well as the front, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.