Tuesday, May 03, 2016

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The "good" - I've a few more rows made - I have always loved this design  It is so simple, yet gives the visual illusion if the rows are arranged correctly!  This is called Pinwheels and 4-Patches.  There are many versions from many places.  I think this is the 5th I've made.  Great stash user.  IMHO, my choice of fabrics worked best then the colors were of similar value.  However, every single time I make a blanket statement as if I know what I'm talking about, someone shows me a quilt that is totally opposite what I had just suggested, and the new version is stunning!!!

The "bad", after 10 inches of heavy wet snow.  They WERE beautiful!!!

 Snow gone already, but tulips are fairly bedraggled
 A mess of poppies - unaffected by snow ... they grow so thick, few weeks can get thru.

For weeks we've been watching a dove nest, then a chick, right over the front porch, watching it from in the living room.  this morning -- uuhhhh, those white things?? not snow, not all dandelions - this is the "Ugly" ..... feathers.  ...not a good sign.  
 
 

Another not good sign - this is the fledgling - looking for cover?   

 
 The "Ugly" .. that's a hawk right in the front yard - I never saw one so close, so aggressive - it was not even scared of me.  I don't know what kind it is - not a big bird.  The robins and other doves were hollering and making a big commotion, trying to scare it away. 
I always thought when I saw a pile of feathers in the yard, it was signs of a cat's attack.  Not so.  Sorry about that, cats.  

I did what I could and moved the fledgling to another branch - I could not reach the nest. 


More of the "Ugly" ... in the end, the chick disappeared.  8-(     Everyone's gotta eat.   8-(

5 comments:

  1. Love your pinwheels and 4 Patches! That pattern is one of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt and your red and white is beautiful. I plan to make one too but with all colours. I hope it will turn out nice as I agree with you. Sometimes, a quilt can go very wrong if the colours choice is not so good. Sorry for the doves but predators do have chicks to feed too. :^(
    Happy sewing. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful! Do you always have snow this late in the year? Nature--sometimes beautiful sometimes cruel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that Patches & Pinwheels is by far the prettiest one that I've ever seen! Of course, I'm a big fan of anything red and cream! You are quite the nature photographer and I love your birding stories. Thanks for sharing all the news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt - I've never made that pattern. Maybe some day. Yes, everybody's got to eat. I guess that's the way with wild life. It's fun to see them - sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

I no longer will accept Anonymous comments. I hope my adjustments to Comments do not cause anyone hardships.